Saturday, June 24, 2006

Stop! Digger Time

Since we moved into our house a little over three years ago we've had a resident groundhog. We've named her Digger. Each year we see her babies, which we've named Baby Digger(s).

The mulberry tree along our driveway now has fruit. It's a frequent stop for deer passing through as well as the Baby Diggers. I noticed that one of the babies was at the base of the tree and hopped "into" the base of the tree. I kept mowing not thinking too much of it. I figured that it would run away when I wasn't looking.

By the time I got tot he side of the yard with the tree on it I noticed that the Baby Digger was still there! I guess it was afraid of the mower sound and never left. So I had to go inside and get Andrew and the camera.

Andrew took pictures. At one point he threw in a twig that had some unripe berries on it and got hissed at, as you can see. This Baby Digger stayed here until I was done mowing.

Andrew went back inside. I continued on mowing. As I was going around the box elder tree I saw another Baby Digger! This one didn't have a hiding spot as well as the other. Even though I kept going up and down the yard it stayed there. Since it was staying I once again had to go inside and get Andrew and the camera. As I was going inside I saw a third Baby Digger going into the carport!

I took some pictures (one seen here) of the box elder Digger and then went to look at the third baby in the carport. I guess from now on if we leave the garage door open we'll have to make sure that we don't have any visitors in there too!

This is the closest I've gotten to any of the Baby Digger we've seen over the years. It'll probably be a long time before I'm this close again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home